Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Iraq and Bloggers...

A very nice article in 'Articulate' on Riverbend my favorite blogger and who also happens to be - the female Iraqi blogger who's been documenting daily life in Baghdad and has scored a nomination for the prestigious Samuel Johnson prize for non-fiction along the way.

And Salam Pax speaks on
Bad experiences
Even in the immediate aftermath of the war, he says, hope and excitement was tinged with fear.

Iraqi identity

"I have a Sunni name from my father but my mother is a Shia and we are all Arabs.
"If I want to visit the Shia south I feel safer when using my mother's name. I am not very welcome in the Kurdish north because I'm Arab; in fact I need a permit just to go there.
"All these are labels and all I want to be is an Iraqi - but there doesn't seem to be such a thing any more."

Huge mistake

Stopping short of describing the rising number of Iraqi deaths at the hands of insurgents as a civil war, he says the coalition's stated aims of providing democracy and freedom stand on the brink of complete failure.

And much more

Tagged with : ::
::

Share this Post >> Del.icio.us / Facebook / Stumble / Reddit

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Anthony,

I read her blogs a couple of times and it is an inspiration.

BTW, I just wanted to tell you that I have started blogging!

Visit: http://spaces.msn.com/sameerch/

You will find 1 article (actually 2). And I hope to write as often as I can - that is a new year resolution. ;)

Sameer

11/4/06 8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home