Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Tsunami Remembrance Week

It is not as if I was never busy.
It is not as if I never knew how to manage time.
I have managed to work, read, blog, cook, cook and blog, and then work, and watch movies, and blog and have fun.
But suddenly I have been busier, we are just two working on a not so small project.
Its good that it is a major responsibility, but... been findin less blogging time at work.

And, it is also good that my parents are here, but I am finding even lesser blogging time at home too. Gee, leave aside movies, but managed to read two Louis L Amour ony my way to and from work. I like his books and devour them, coz its much to do about manhood. I wish I was born in the wild west, roping cows, breaking wild horses and Duel. Life was too simple then.

Oh, and so I have been finding less and less blogging time. But how could I not write about for the tsunami remembrance week. I was in Kolkata last christmas. And we were having ball of a time. No TV no Papers, just partying. Then it struck.

Tsunami was not a new word to me, then. I knew about Tsunami since i was a kid. I guess I have read about it in some encyclopedia or those tell me how series I love so much. I knew that Tsunami happened quite often in japan, and that it was just a weather phenomenon only new to Indian coasts. It indeed was, but it was much more than that. The death and destruction it caused was something Men seldom imagine about. We are all happy with the thought that calamities happen to all the people but us. We don't even get ourselves insured. How many of us get nsured? Buying an insurance policy is not getting oneself insured properly.

The Tsunami was a leveller. A friend of mine wrote in the egroup that it happened about 500 meters from from where he was staying. It showed us mere mortals that calamities strike at anyone and that Nature ain't RACIST. I don't know where my post is going, but the Tsunami had triggered a lot of things in mind than the death and destruction it left in its aftermath.What it caused was not very new to the poor and desolate of the world. Amit commented on this better.

What struck me more was the Why?
Why was nature taking such a nasty turn so suddenly?
And why in such a short period, so many natural calamities?
Few people have commented and those who did, did so to score a point in favour of their faith or belief or ism. Like Globalisation caused it blah blah blah.

But what we must remember is that we have abused the nature behemently.
No, I am not an activist, but it is of utmost importance that we find out a relationship between the calamities and the abuse that we have meted out on earth. And everytime I write about a natural calamity or it happens, I will repeat the fact I have mentioned gain and again. I am a great believer in preventive measures than treating symptoms.

Tag:

To end on a lighter note, I got this poem as a forward.

When I born, I Black,
When I grow up, I Black,
When I go in Sun, I Black,
When I scared, I Black,
When I sick, I Black,
And when I die, I still black.......

And you White fella,
When you born, you Pink,
When you grow up, you White,
When you go in Sun, you Red,
When you cold, you Blue,
When you scared, you Yellow,
When you sick, you Green,
And when you die, you Gray.................

And you calling me Colored
???????????


Share this Post >> Del.icio.us / Facebook / Stumble / Reddit

6 Comments:

Blogger Soumyadip said...

We always are under the impression that it cannot happen to us. And then it does. We are caught unawares.

When a friend first informed me of the south-east Asia tsunami - I thought that it was a Japanese phenomenon. All we get on our coasts are the cyclones (initially unnamed, but now with an identity affixed). Where did a tsunami come from? Then I saw the visuals - the amateur ones - and understood.

And 'Nature indeed is colourblind.'

28/12/05 1:25 PM  
Blogger Visithra said...

one of the problem was most of the affected countries never experienced such a phenomena before - weird was how the msian victims were seen standing agape watching the huge waves - instead of running - n we used to pride ourselves as safe from natural disasters - not so safe it seems

god bless everyone hope - such a big one doesn't reoccur

28/12/05 2:19 PM  
Blogger Swar Thounaojam said...

as i always say, nature wakes up hungry and hunger has no definition or discrimination. on another note, there are some real hilarious colour-poems by benjamin zephaniah.

28/12/05 10:18 PM  
Blogger Anks said...

i agree when you say that we need to stop abusing nature.... and countless innocents suffer.....

29/12/05 1:31 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

good post after a long time
bibhu | 12.27.05 - 4:17 am | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its been 1yr to Tsunami but those memories are still fresh in ma mind....I was totally freaked out when I saw the videos shown on news. Boy...thats one cruel act from mother nature.

May the souls of people who lost there lives rest in peace.

Amen!!
Z000nie | Homepage | 12.27.05 - 7:03 am | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi tony..long time no see..i hope mumbais rockin as always! thanks for droppin by..wen did u change ur blog url? i didnt know abt it! lol- anyway, i loved the poem at the end :D
Medha | 12.27.05 - 11:50 am | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tony...quick question..What is the equivalent of GAJAR KA HALWA (that hindi movie moms make for their sons) in Manipur or manipuri movies? I am planning to compile a list

Sorry..now to your post. Nature is truly a great leveller. But I wonder, why are only the poor impacted the most? The rich seem to get away. Or is it because we have so many poor people around us that the rich barely get noticed?
thecomicproject | Homepage | 12.27.05 - 12:56 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I started blogging seriously around the time Tsunami occured. Recently, a Bangladeshi activist caused controversy in Canada when she came here and said that, "Flooding in her country is a nature's way to control population". Canadians were shocked because they never think this way...A life is a life is a life.

Anyways, I think Tsunami was nature's way to control population too in that region because it is increasing faster than it should. Also, Global Warming is a result of increase in population to a certain extent.

Although, none of this reasoning should be enough for someone who has lost his/her family. Good post.

Good poem too...
Ricky2Tony | 12.27.05 - 4:16 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thx Bibhu..for leaving a comment.. This is maybe ur 3rd comment.. Why don't you start blogging...

@ Zoonie: Zoonie... i was almost the first commenter in ur blog but for the fact that when i went there it asked for admin passwd... nd yes, it was quite a disaster..a Amyu their souls rest in peace..

@ Medha: Its been quite some time.. and thx for dropping by.. Glad that you too are back.. read ur poem ..amazing.. as always..
tony | Homepage | 12.27.05 - 11:37 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ricky bhai, and yes some people do believe that disasters are nature's way of controlling population and though it has no reason nor rhyme sometimes however eerie it might seem, it is hard not to believe it... And I always say, there are forces that science still have no explanation for. Men are smart, but we still haven't the knowledge for many things...many many things.. Ask Phds and Scientists... They are the ones who know how much more Men needs to learn... If we have learnt everything there is to learn then, then we don't need to learn more... eh???
tony | Homepage | 12.27.05 - 11:47 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And of course, a life is a life is a life.. If there be any control, it should be at the condom level eh...
tony | Homepage | 12.27.05 - 11:51 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi...it's good to see the tsunami remembrance tags on all the popular blogs. hope y had a great xmas and wish you an even better new year. btw my blog url has changed from idreamz to aquadreamer.blogspot.com
some kid from singapore took over my old url...dunno how
aqua | Homepage | 12.29.05 - 1:39 am | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

saw the poem on a T-shirt.

Have fun with your folks and continue the good deeds.
arunima | Homepage | 12.29.05 - 1:48 am | #

4/1/06 11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my god i love this peom its like soo cool and right at the same time

27/3/06 6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home