Friday, November 25, 2005

Friday Ahoy....

Aye Aye Mate!

This friday came a bit too soon, not that I am complaining.
Been reading a lot about Overworked overstressed Indian Employees..
Like

A majority of IT people suffer from health problems.As most of the IT
workforce is still very young, the problem isn't very obvious today but it
will hit with unbearable ferocity when these youngsters get to their 40s. Read More

It was originally linked by Gaurav, I even wrote a post afterwards, but it didn't see the light of the blog. So I am glad that friday came, before I am stressed out.

I wrote a post on racism too, a very long post, but I thought I'd refine it further. Racism, which is prevalent everywhere, I thought needed a freudian opinion. I am yet to read up on what Freud had to say about racism. Will post afterwards, but again I don't know if really matters. The blog reading public, I am sure aren't racist. I am not saying that Blog readers are real Nice poeple, not that they aren't nice nor am I saying racists aren't nice. But I have observed that few educated people discriminate people based on caste, creed or colour. There are some who do, but they don't blog. Ok I was kidding.

As a prelude to my upcoming posts, I will share my experience of discrimination and racism. But, rather I have enjoyed it. My company does a lot of business with South East Asians, and so there are some clients from Japan or Korea or Singapore at any time in the office campus. And as all IT workers are instructed by their companies as how to handle clients, as arz000n explains here, Clients are treated as God even if they look funny. And so my first few days of office, it was quite hard for me to adjust to the new found respect and awe.

For example, I never had to stand in queues in the canteen, or when we enter the office early in the morning when everybody is in a hurry to swipe their cards. I only have to give a sideway glance and people offered me the newspaper they were reading to me. One over enthusiastic guy who had just returned from an onsite assignment in Japan even bowed to me not unlike Arshad Warsi in Salaam Namaste. Ah!!! Those were the days, my few moments under the sun, but thanx to my Shuudh Hindi Gaalis, the cat is out of the bag and I am no more treated like a revered Foreigner Client, but just another Indian, yes they do....

Have a nice weekend everybody....



And In case if you haven't Sign the petition by visiting the blog Remembering Manjunath.

Share this Post >> Del.icio.us / Facebook / Stumble / Reddit

9 Comments:

Blogger Visithra said...

The client is god - u bite ur teeth n smile even if all you wanna do is strangle n push them off the cliff ;) its an asian thing i tell ya

26/11/05 9:26 AM  
Blogger Soumyadip said...

I too had some experiences of being mistaken for a foreigner and my Hindi skills too didn't help much. I had posted about one such incident sometime ago.

26/11/05 12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clients - internal or external- are gods! Sigh! I agree with Visithra's sentiments above.

Manjunath's death was shocking. Had already read about it and commented on Gaurav (Rathore)'s blog! Also read it on Sabnis and Rashmi's pages. Each time i read it, i was so scared and kept wondering, what if i had been in that position!

Nice new look - Two suggestions, if i may offer: a) pls enable 'pop' up comment box - its easier instead of going thru two windows b) use 'justify' alignment ; it will give a great neatness to the posts.

And where hv u been? Was waiting for u to read the rest of the story.

Take care
DJ

26/11/05 7:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Incidentally, I too had touched upon racism a bit in my post "Salaam Namaste". You can read it here

26/11/05 7:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ Visithra..Ya and since I was the mistaken client.. It was qite amusing, i don't know whta they must have felt after finding out that I am not really a client... ;-)

26/11/05 8:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ Soumyadip, It is good as long the one mistaking you is not seeling something and charge you a foreigner rate... lol.or if you aren't asked ur passport for identification..

26/11/05 8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@DJ thx DJ, ACtually I wanted to take a printout and read the rest...

And thx again, I will try to tweak the template tommorow...

26/11/05 8:23 PM  
Blogger Ar Ar Ar Arrrrr said...

The blog reading public, I am sure aren't racist.
I'm sure they are not racist...but Im sure there are few species of bloggers who differentiate people from the blog-templates..

Hmmm...Need to do something about them ;)

Have a nice weekend dude!!
Enjoy :)

26/11/05 9:05 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

why is it not showing??????
tony | Homepage | 11.27.05 - 1:24 am | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi,

that was funny Tony-San!
Bloggers do discriminate. Buchu had a blog fight once with some random blogger cutie who said things like I love clouds, I love Mills and boons, I hate karelas and by the way, I hate low caste people! Yes!!!! And many, many people strongly defended not only her right to free expression , but the free expression of that particular opinion.
Gypsy nan | Homepage | 11.29.05 - 5:16 pm | #

4/1/06 11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home