Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder!!

Have you ever noticed that good looking girls usually hang out together with other good looking girls, but when it come to couples the lousiest looking guy dates a Pretty girl and mostly vice versa too. About the good looking girls hanging out together with good looking girls only, some people might disagree to it stating exceptions, but then exceptions do occur.

It is the couples I am interested in. I have seen this many a times. I have seen enough examples. My sample size would be at least 20 odd couples that I know of and add to it the strangers we see in malls, it’s a huge number to comfortably play with our theory. The best Looking guy end up with such girls as will make you think, “Is he out of his mind or there must be something really wrong with him" and very often we see that some joker is holding hands with an angel, jealous souls would call it “Langur ke haath mein angoor”. By the way, I am not sure if Langurs don’t eat angoors.

Let’s talk about girl friend boy friend thing. For married couple there is always a possibility of an arranged marriage like ON@TCC. But for the pre-marriage types, believe me I have seen it happen to the closest of friends. I won't name him but I had a friend who was so ugly and emaciated, we used him as an example to describe ugliness. He wasn't that type of very nice person who everybody adores nor was he rich or intelligent, yet by the time he was 18 he had changed more girlfriends than I have changed my toothbrush and I change them very often. (bad joke).
Taking his example, I had come up with a theory of How Ugly men get to get beautiful Girls.

A man falls in love through his eyes, a woman through her ears. -Woodrow Wyatt

the theory of try try again, if you fail move on the next., You see, uglier man who aren't rich or intelligent have very less to lose in trying so they keep trying and more often than not they are quite shameless, referring to my ugly friend. So a slap or a tongue-whip never breaks their resolve and they keep trying. Their persistency would be, say a 99.9/100. Also they are often good in sweet talking. So while, a good looking guy with an inflated ego stops trying after the first try ( and girls usually rejects in the first try to play hard to get), the uglier cousin keep trying with sweet lies and borrowed Dress and car until the heart of the girl melts, or I suspect in many cases, the girl says yes out of frustration, ‘Let me say yes, at least he might get off my back after sometime" but then once she says yes, naughty cupid will takes over. And love can do wonders to people "Love is Blind. Anyone?"

But for rich Good Looking Guy going around with Not so pretty girl- Isn't a man suppose to fall in love with his eyes.
Another friend, but of course he use to hang around with pretty girls, not so pretty girls, and very pretty girl friends, but then He married and he married someone I didn't know and was surprised to know. This guys, who had pretty girls breathing down his neck with mid night phone calls and mid day phone calls and what not, married someone who was quite average. A girl can’t be ugly, and anyway beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but yeah, haven't you noticed in malls handsome good looking guys with not-so-good-looking wives or girlfriends (and very frustratingly Vice Versa where you start thinking, “what the hell is wrong with me?”).

I have no theory for that.
Well, One theory is that maybe , the good looking guys who had all the fun in life are so insecure since they hadn't really been saints that they marry not so pretty girls just so they remain faithful. Maybe, I am not sure; I don't have a theory here. I ask you?
Another theory is that, since this is a phenomenon I see more often in India, desi guys who have just been unshackled from the chains of traditions with the coming of BPO, IT and MNC banks, and Discs and Pubs no more the hang out of just the Rich Brats, the guys are in such a hurry to grab a girl friend that they propose the first girl who become friendly with him.

But have you noticed this too, or is this only a mirage to me?

Footnote: There is another fact. Not a Myth or an urban legend. Bad girls don’t fall for Good Boys contrary to what I wrote above about opposite attract. That applies only to looks. So guys, if you want to pick up a Bad girl for a no strings attached fling, start acting real Bad. And don't drink that whisky with Coke, try at least a Teachers on the rocks. And no orange juice, if you are dead againts anything alcohol, try RedBull ;-) , you see Bad girls don’t want a momma’s boy however charming you might be.
And Don't act like a Husband material, it will only get you Wives. This is a special message to all the good mallu and tam bram boys who wrongly blamed their nomenclature for their state of celibacy, as Sidin wrote in one of his famous posts. Read the post here if you haven't read it, and read again even if you have. It will still make you laugh.

Disclaimer: Please don't take this post too seriously, this is my serious attempt at trying to be humorous. If humour was lost, it was my failure. I, personaly am of the school of thought that believes in, "Marry someone with whom you could have conversations for hours on end, for that is the only thing you will long for in your old age, when the external appeal are long gone. Cheers

Share this Post >> Del.icio.us / Facebook / Stumble / Reddit

37 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stumbled across yr blog through many, many links. Will be back.
As for this post, I think I will go with the insecure theory. Always, always choose someone who is worse looking than you to keep the "predators" away :-)
chrs!

16/11/05 10:38 AM  
Blogger adarsh said...

tooooo many links on ur blog roll... :)

16/11/05 12:18 PM  
Blogger neha vish said...

Anthony:

I found this post of yours very disappointing. You seem to have played into every stereotype - Good, Bad, Beautiful, Ugly.

And your post is heterocentric - it leaves out homosexual couples.

Do you realize that most of your idea of beauty and behaviour comes from external sources - and that it's not wired into you?

16/11/05 8:06 PM  
Blogger Navjot Kashyap said...

@Tony
I agree with you on your observations.
But, I think in ny relationship there is more then just external apperances.
Yes, external appearances do matter, but in the long run they are not much significant.

16/11/05 9:11 PM  
Blogger Hul said...

you seem to have done a lot of research on this. Good point you raised but as you ve mentioned "you should see thru his/her eyes".

I think you should meet your boss and tell him clearly that your previous assignment has been done.

17/11/05 6:53 AM  
Blogger QuaTros said...

Hey dude, popped onto your blog this morning. This post IS indeed a nice one! :-)

17/11/05 9:12 AM  
Blogger Admin said...

@ HathirPithi Welcome here.. Even i would go with the insecure theory ;-)

@ Adarsh I visit all of them occasional and the blogrool was the best place after the favorites.

17/11/05 9:37 AM  
Blogger Admin said...

@ Neha Vish;-

About Good, Bad, Ugly and Beautiful Stereotypes, the anecdotes I gave were of personal personal experience and personal views however warped my views might be, and it was a question I put to the readers if they felt the same. Althought I didn't reiterate it in the post, the topic itself said that all the stereotypes were in fact a matter of point of view, a point of the eye of the beholder.

I deliberately left out homosexual couples since I haven't personally come across any couples

And yes most my ideas of beauty and behaviour did came from external source, but not in the way you meant. All anecdotes were mentioned because, I happen to remmeber that whoever I am with, he or she usually gives me a raised eyebrow whenever we see those couples. So when two very different characters are seen walking together, almost everybody seem to notice it.

As for the "not wired into me", It has been proven that a child respond better to a "conventionally" pretty face. And come on, Aishwarya Rai is Beautifull. Monica Bedi is not so beautiful.

Anyway the post was really meant to be a fun post. I am sorry if anybody got offended. I will write a disclaimer. Thanks for pointing out. As for my opinion, I still say that it is in the eye of the beholder. And all my crushes have been unconventional believe me ;-)

And, no I didn't mean Bad as in Bad. It was the BAD that my mom would scream when he finds out that I even drink and eat Steak, Yes. I wrote keeping the the conventional views in mind. Personaly, I am not one of those "I want a Fair Bride types".

HMM, I am suppose to be a funny guy in real life.. I don't have that sidin effect on writing Poor me

17/11/05 10:09 AM  
Blogger Admin said...

@ Hul.. I usually do that when I saty llate at the office. All official mails should be sent at the most unearthly hours ;-)

17/11/05 10:11 AM  
Blogger Admin said...

Quatros, thx dude. U are welcome.

17/11/05 10:11 AM  
Blogger Admin said...

@ Navjot, yes they were just my observations, and i also know that external appearance do have an expiry period, often a few years marriage lol. And i am of the belief that marry someone with whom you could have a converstaion hours on end. That is the only thing that you will long for in your old age.

U don't want a wife who would say "Sorry" and you replt "ekssjacttly"

17/11/05 10:27 AM  
Blogger karuna said...

Dunno about good looking girls/guys hanging with each other but most definately agree that the hottest guys/girls end up with like randoms. The other way of looking at it is that we shudnt be so superficial... love is blind you know

17/11/05 12:23 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

@karuna, oh yes, love is blind..

And didn't Friedrich Nietzsche said, "A pair of powerful spectacles
has sometimes sufficed to cure a person in love."

17/11/05 12:50 PM  
Blogger Visithra said...

Ahh an interesting post - we've been wondering on this for ages - is it gods way of saying lets balance the world yin n yang?

I once read this theory on ugly guy pretty gal

guy discovers previously undiscovered potiential pretty gal who is currently average - he grooms and loves her n whala he has a pretty babe totally in love with him ;p

n then the other guys go hey how did I miss her.

Good theory huh ;p but of course doesn't apply to your handsome friend. Again Love is blind, the huge spectacles could help? But its nice isn't it this blindness? Keeps things human ;)

17/11/05 2:37 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

@ Visithra--the insecurity theory was specially for my handsome fren, he had "fun" with such a number I am uncomfortable sayin, so invariable he was very very insecure, and maybe he was unsure if pretty girls would be a virgin which he wasn't. Strange are the ways of we men eh!

your theory of Grooming id very good, and an ex-GF kept saying she groomed me and wanted to brand me alomst ;-)

you last line was oh so true and lovely.. but i still insists that aishwarya is more beautiful than Monica Bedi

17/11/05 7:27 PM  
Blogger Zulu said...

Nice one Anthony! Smiled a lot while reading this post.

Seems like you guys had a lot of fun at the Bloggers meet. :-)

18/11/05 9:48 AM  
Blogger Ar Ar Ar Arrrrr said...

lousiest looking guy dates a Pretty girl and mostly vice versa too.

Thats what I proudly call as

Kauwe ke mooh mein dahi-wada

Grrrr...

“Langur ke haath mein angoor”
I used to say this previously...but now...I dont know is it coz of IT, but majority of ugly looking guys are getting hot and cute chicks.

Yes...Love is Blind for sure.
The only thing we need right now are good looking female-doctors to treat those hawwt chicks and help them come outta the illusion

AMEN!!

Btw, thanks for visiting ma blog.

Greeetz!!

18/11/05 12:23 PM  
Blogger Rita said...

I dunno about looks. But I've seen the best girls hang out with lousy guys. Sad but true. Girls have a knack for falling for men who are no good!

18/11/05 2:51 PM  
Blogger AquaM said...

HI anthony,

I was quite surprised to find your comment on my Coffeee, Tea or Me blog.I haven't heard from after your last comment on my tag post.

Back to the subject, for one, Love is like wild flowers, it is found in the most unlikely places.(crowd included)

Second, your disclaimer beats everything else you have said so far.

:)
AquaM

18/11/05 2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL ... and the humor wasnt lost rest assured ... waise, i hv noticed this too ;-))

18/11/05 3:08 PM  
Blogger Erosimian said...

Hey Anthony,

Your choice of laptop (Toshiba Portege R150) is good for maximum portability. The Pentium M 1 Ghz ULV processor consumes very little power; around 5 W compared to the normal Pentium M which consumes around 27 W at max load.

Thats the reason for the high price.

This processor is good enough to play DVD's and stuff. This laptop should handle presentations with video and animations fine. Proxy server is also ok.

By product demo's, I can't get an idea of how much processing power they really need. Can u explain to me the kind of applications you want to do?


The Intel Extreme graphics will balk at gaming or 3D rendering, which I assume you aren't doing.

For smoother performance, add an extra 512 MB of RAM to the laptop. You can put in a 1 GB module for really heavy multitasking, to have a maximum of 1.2 Gb RAM.

Your laptop is unique because it comes with a non-removable base memory. It's a great feature!

btw, if u have ANY question abt AMD processors, do ask!

18/11/05 3:08 PM  
Blogger sebia said...

lol ..i ws sleeping and thn i had a brain wave to go check my comments..so i stumbled and fumbled and dumbled my way here..with brain cells totally lulled in peaceful serenity..and gt lost in goodlooking girls,bad looking bad looking girls good looking boys blah blah:)
1 q. What category u fall in?:)
good looking guy with bad looking girl?
or bad looking guy with good looking girl?
or good looking guy with gud looking grl?
or bad looking guy with bad looking grl:)
lol now im lost in the total gibberish....
anyways i have noticed 1 factor in guys,..
Guys are more insecure in there relationships,regardless of the fact if they have lead a v RASPUTEENISH style of living..or a BAL BRAHAMCHARI one..its so hard fr them 2 let go,and thn there r ego issues..they just want there egos to b massaged all the time..so whn In gf,bf stuff..they MIGHT fall fr LOLLITAS..but in marital relationship they want smbdy who always look up 2them..smbdy who is insecure enough 2 find her security in him..hence usually they go fr a grl with lil competition:)
tc(aaj kay liyay bas itna hii..im dead sleepy now:((

18/11/05 4:26 PM  
Blogger sebia said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

18/11/05 4:27 PM  
Blogger The Comic Project said...

haha good one mate...have you noticed that a man and a woman after being married for several years start resembling each other?

and thanks for the link on tambram nomenclatures..i recollect having read it earlier but lost it

18/11/05 5:14 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

@ Zulu, Thx for smiling :-) its much easier to smile than frown. And that what i try to spread.. And we missed u at the blogger meet, It was great and made some good friends.

@ vanathi, thnx and welcome here ..

18/11/05 5:17 PM  
Blogger Anks said...

he he he....

18/11/05 5:30 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

@ Arz000n, you are welcome, anytime. U know I admire funny posts. i have a thousand places to go read opinions and news but Funny posts beats them. I also try you know.. But you are Bang on.. And yeah the hot chicks need to look at us too eh!!!
dahi vada was much better than angoor i guess.. rotfl

18/11/05 5:44 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

@ Rita.. Poor girls.. but same for guys too ain't it??

18/11/05 5:45 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

@ AquaM- next time I will leave a comment everytime I visit lol.
Wild flower ahmmm..

And yeah, my disclaimer is something I truely believe.

Somebody told me yesterday very bluntly, when i discussed this topic with him, for girls it was money they were looking at and when i asked him how about guys, HE SAID THAT THEY JUST FRIENDS haha

18/11/05 5:48 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

@ Deepak thnx.. I felt some people took it too seriously..

@ Duttan: Hi buddy, thx for the reply. I know AMD 64 bit beats any intel, but they should come with with a Mobile version as well on the lines of centrino.

18/11/05 5:50 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

@ Sebia, That is something I won't announce on my blog. lol.
and yeah it is the insecure funda that holds true for guys.

The girl side of the theory remain unswered

18/11/05 5:51 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

@ TCP: Quite true, i have often noticed that.. I guess that is called normalisation..

18/11/05 5:53 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

long time anks ;-)

18/11/05 5:54 PM  
Blogger Erosimian said...

Hey Anthony,

I sent you an email regarding your comment in my blog. But I forgot to include something.

The Turion64 is very close to Intel's Pentium M, when both are running at same clock speeds.

Both architectures are very clock speed efficient. Engineers on both sides are trying to squeeze the maximum out of each clock cycle.

But Intel's architecture is more advanced both on paper and also has a wee bit more battery life when processors are running at same clock speed.

18/11/05 11:28 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

Thx. Got the mail ;-)

19/11/05 2:27 PM  
Blogger silverine said...

Your disclaimer at the end saved you from my lynching lol :))

The reason you see a gal with a not so good looking guy is because she was smart enough to get to know the real 'him' disregarding his facial skin. Even I cannot imagine falling for a guy based on looks. So I do not believe in love at first sight. Some of the most interesting guys I have met are not good looking. Going for looks is the most foolish thing to do if you are looking at a long term relationship. As you yourself said, getting a partner with whom you can talk for hours on end is a sign of a relationship that has hit the right note.

This was a great topic for a post :)

20/11/05 6:33 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

@ Silverine: Looks are good just for fling eh!!

21/11/05 12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home