Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Of Decisions and Bar Girls. Tarrannum anyone?

I am a pretty confused soul, never sure of what I really think.
U see, in taking a decision, not one decision is always an absolute "better" than the rest of the options. So we learn to compromise, and I have even learnt to take decisions systematically through theories and case studies and yes I do pretty well.
But each time, it leaves me confused since there is always a merit in the discarded options as well! Maybe I am not a very good decision maker. Marketers Call it Post Purchase Dissonance, I believe.

But, it is not the decisions that I have taken that is the cause of this post today, it is what I think about an issue, my views and stands about that issue, that have confused me of late. How would I have taken a issue regarding a Major Issue, like our politicains must take everyday(well not everyday). Not that our politicians take decisions correctly, if they do take any, but I just realised how difficult it must be for them when they know that each decision will affect the lives of Millions. Or maybe, its not too difficult for them after all. They take decsions on based on which decision will fetch them more votes in the next election, or which decison will result in more cash flows, read kickbacks. But a good politician must find it rather difficult. Huh?

Ok, Back to me! I hated Hijras and Beggars all my life, but after reading a few articles on sonia's blog, well its a series, I am quite confused. I don't know if it was right to hate those People all my life. I guess I Just saw the Human side of them. We just can't calculate the pros and cons to take decision as to How to deal with a problem when it will affect the Livelihoods and lives of many HUMANS.

I am talking here about Bar Girls and the ban of their livelihood. I have read all the articles of Sonia Faleiro on the Bar dancers. Just because the govt had to take a decision, they suddenly decide to Ban an occupation that rendered all of the victims Hungry and Homeless. Bar girls maybe good or bad, some people might think of it as Immoral. I am not writng here to give a Judgement, but that it has robbed the livelihoods of thousands of them made me sit up.
Did the Govt take a right decision afterall? If they had been allowing them all the while, why a sudden Brake?We have heard of layoff, and downsizing but they were different. Not downsizing at the right time might have caused more Jobs in the long run when the company falls into bankruptcy. But since the bar dancers had no other skills but some assets, which men used to lust, most took to Prostitution, and a pregnant women having sex for 50 bucks, and some who commited suicide. Most of them are homeless now.

But the Maharastrain Govt didn't have an urgent need to close down dance bars, or did they?
Vote banks? Any takers?
If they wanted to ban them, could'nt the govt have make it a gradual process than an abrupt one. It was so unfair. One way could have been if the govt issued non-renewable One lifetime Licences to only existing bar girls and let them operate till the tenure of the licence expire, and issue or rennew no further Licences. In 15 years time or lesser, bar dance would have ceased to exist, if that be the intention. There won't be any new recruits and the existing ones might have saved enough for themselves. The govt could still do it now. And the license to to be issued through the Unions that they have formed so that there is no corruption. I would have done it. But I am no politician, and would politics have changed me, the way I am think and the decisions that I should have taken. Can we separate Politics and Governance? I am confused yet again. How i wish I was smarter.

Anyone listening? Sonia?

Read the series done by Soniafaleiro here at;
Part-I, Part-II, Part-III, Part-IV, Part-V, Part-VI

My previous post on Rape and Violations
Read more!

Share this Post >> Del.icio.us / Facebook / Stumble / Reddit

18 Comments:

Blogger silverine said...

I fully agree with you. Bar girls exist because in our entertainment starved country any form of entertainment gets lapped up. If people want to go to a bar and watch these gals then it is their personal choice, the Govt should not step in unless minors are involved or prostitution is carried out in the name of dancing.The govt can issue rules and regulations and licenses to make it a legitimate industry.

As usual a thought provoking post. I got the link to your new cook blog, will link it soon in one of my posts cos I think more people should try the recipes.

8/11/05 9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey tony, thanks for dropping by.. you know one of the things i find so sad - is that its always the woman who suffers... where is the whole theory of economics - supply and demand. Surely if there were no demand, there would be no supply.. and why do these poor women have to suffer ( whether bar girls or prostitues)

8/11/05 9:49 PM  
Blogger Hul said...

sonia falero's blog did bring a change the way i think. Guess I am more educated now.

9/11/05 2:36 AM  
Blogger Admin said...

@ Silverine, I don't know if it exists because our industry is entertainmnt starved bcause i see no alternative entertainment mode to bargirls. like the general opinion, It is one's personal choice whether to visit a dance or someone is dancing there. i ve' heard of no trafficking in the bar dancing trade like in prostitution. thx for the interst in my cook blog. But Yes, if the govt. want to ban it, like I said, it must be a gradual process.

9/11/05 9:39 AM  
Blogger Admin said...

Nancy..Hmmmm yeah I have seen women suffer and yes they seem to be always on the recieving but I can't say much.. feminists brand Guys who seem interested about this things as being sympathetic and that they need no sympathy. Its not sympathy, its just that I find it hard to take in. U see my mother happens to be a women too lol. And women in my place have a much better place under the sun than elsewhere. Why don't you visit my Blog on Manipur, here

9/11/05 9:45 AM  
Blogger Admin said...

@ Hul, Yeah hul, it was a nice piece she did. And I still can't seem to like the hijras but still I am beginning to the human in them. But man. I remember once in the train when the hijra's tried to forcibly kiss my friend when he refused to give money. i already paid 5 bucks, and he had to shell out 50 bucks when the hij treid to Kiss him with ITS toungue out eeeks. he said he had no change, and the hij said (s)he would give change but took the 50 bucks anyways. Phew.

9/11/05 9:48 AM  
Blogger Casablanca said...

Its a matter of demand and supply... why doesnt the government do something to curb the demand for prostitutes and bar girls first, and then eradicate the problem!

Disgusting decisions...

9/11/05 12:52 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

lol, Disgusting decisions indeed, but how can the govt. Curve the demands.It is only Human nature. Only society deem them to be immoral or wrong.
in fact i believe they must be legalised and allowed to exist, and there should be more stricter rules for misuse, abuse or trafficking of the same.

9/11/05 1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it shudnt hv happened. If they cant trust the public with the public's morality, why do the politicians ask votes frm them?

9/11/05 5:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As long as a market exists for something, people are ready to pay to get some service, i dont see how the government can ban it. By making it a banned thing, they are just taking away the livelihood of these women and increasing the stigma of the society towards such professions.

9/11/05 5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry for the totally anonymous comment.

-Elysia
https://elysia.rediffblogs.com

9/11/05 5:40 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

Yes DJ Rightly put.
Winston Churchill said it best: Democracy is the worst form of government, unfortunately we have nohting better.

@ elysia, exactly my point. but my point was, if they did had to ban it, it shouldn't have been so abrupt as to put the lives of everyone involved in such misery. And Thnx for dropping. Welcome here.

9/11/05 6:17 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

Spare my gramatical mistakes, my fingers and mind don't communicate ;-)

9/11/05 6:48 PM  
Blogger Arunima said...

whatever be the case, no one can stop it. It's high time it got legalised.

9/11/05 7:37 PM  
Blogger Navjot Kashyap said...

@Tony
Tony yaar on my browsers both on I.E. and Firefox, my blog appears fine.
I fear that it might not be appearing correctly on other people's machines.
o, please tell me, what percent of the width merges with the sidebar & I'll make change accordingly.
Also let me know your browser version.

9/11/05 8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your argument is very true, but you see decision makers are ruthless most oif the time. If nothing, a fair warning of a year would have sufficed as well. But now what? After they have been shut down? atleastthey could have done something to relocate them and provide them with alternate means of survival.t he same thing happened when they shut down all the children sweat shopsi nt eh slums of dharavi. now it is wrong to operate sweat shops but if these children have known no life besides that how in the world are they going to recuperate if it is done suddenly!

9/11/05 8:18 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

@ Arunima, who will tell the moral hypoctite watchdogs that!

@ navjot, about 1 centimetre. its IE i don't know the version.. Should be the latest ;-) its the one on xp

9/11/05 10:14 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

@ kaush exactly why i hate decisions arrrg!!!!

9/11/05 10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home