Friday, October 28, 2005

ON@TCC

One Night at the Call Centre.

After reading the review/post of Chetan Bhagat's new book, http://www.chetanbhagat.com, by jabberwock, I went and bought the book right after office. It was a good story told in an intersting way, said jabberwock . How could I resist a good story, the only good stories I have missed have been the harry Potter series and LOTR. I will read them someday soon.
ON@TCC was a nice book. I finished it without a Bio Break. Reached Home at 9 PM, got freshened up, made the bed and started reading it.( I have had my dinner already, a sumptous Marwari Thali. Those with many small katoris). By 1 AM, the book was finished. I don't remember getting up for bio Break. I savour good books, take my own time and don't try to complete at a go. But a good story, I can't wait. I use to read the last page first whenever I read Shidney Sheldon Books. It was written by an American, New York Times might have called it a page turner. Yes, Chetan is a very good story teller, and it was nice of him that he told in the beginning, if one were to look for a serious (posh was the word), one had to go elsewhere. It was just an easy read, a story well told. Not very verbose, full of witty remarks, and a pinch of comedy. He put life into each character quite well.

PS: I thought it would be about the call centre scandal at A Gurgaon call centre where a couple was caught caught on tape having sex in the bathroom. I never got that mms :-( . Just Kidding
And,
Soumyadip tagged me today. And I inflicted myself to a psychometric tests. Below are the outcome of the exercise.


Seven things that I plan to do

1. Learn Tai Chi.
2. Start my own Company.
3. Cut down my mobile bills to 1500.
4. 2nd MBA from an Ivy League School in US.
5. Start Saving money.
6. Stop speculating and Invest.
7. Be the CM of Manipur.

Seven things that I can do

1. Learn any new language.
2. Fasting.
3. Roll my stomach in waves like in the yogas.
4. Wiggle my ears (Yes I also can).
5. Watch 3 movies in theatre non-stop
6. wake up early.
7. Cook anything.

and some that I can't announce here :-) Like I can *** 7 times...

Seven things I can’t

1. Float/swim on the back.
2. Watch blood and gore.
3. Stop using Credit cards.
4. Stay up all night.
5. Start a day without my morning cup of Tea
6. Stand Liars, ever.
7. WAIT for anything.

Seven things I say most often

1. How you doing ?
2. That's great!!
3. I will see.
4. What the F***?
5. Don't be the football of someone else' Opinion!
6. Just Kidding.
7. Market keisa hein?

Seven people I want to tag, Difficult...

1. Sadik
2. Neetie
3. Navjot Kashyap
4. Rash
5. Ektz
6. Hul
7. ThalassaMikra
One more
8. Arunima

Oh! The book.
Me: Its about a night at the call centre.
You: Yeah! I know that. I know the name of the book you know.
Me: Oh! You want the Plot?
You: Not the plot, Stupid. Don't you know how a book review is done.
Me: Oh I did a book Review Once.
You: Not again! Please don't start the story of The Goal again. Tell em about ON@TCC
Me: Oh! Its the story of six call centre agents. How they spent the night at a call centre. What they were going through in their lives, their confrontation with Life's Miseries, How they are hooked to the job knowing no end yet being stuck there because no other Job would pay them as much. the story goes mostly as a conversation.
You: Oh! Like this review.
Me: Almost! Its mostly a series of conversation and so reading it was like eaves dropping into their conversations. The reason I liked the book was, maybe because of my human tendency for eavesdropping. Everybody loves to eavesdrop, and if the conversation is interesting, making which Chetan Bhagat seem to be expert, the story is a sure winner. The book was light on the mind and on the pocket too, a deadly combo.
You: yeah, I heard it cost only 95 bucks.
Me: Yeah and I got a 20% diwali Discount as well. I say it was more interesting than his first book. Yeah, what I liked most about the book was his Ability to breath live into the Characters. All very different and unique and yet bound by a common thread. A thread of loss, of being unsure, of struggling, and of working at connexions call centre. But the ending was a bit melodramatic. But again, I 'd say he had foresight. He would surely want to make it into a Movie, and when he does so he won't have to change much to appease the Indian directors. Just a few pages but the last few pages would make great bollywood material.

You: I will go and get a copy today. If it turns out bad, I will skin you.
Me: Oh Cumon, its a matter of 95 bucks. Less than a Movie ticket at a multiplex. believe me you will enjoy, in fact I am going to buy a few more copies as Gifts. And, yeah It was so cheap I wanted to buy some more book and yes! I got Catcher in the Rye and The Tipping Point too. Been thinking about the books for so long, but i keep forgetting. Happy Diwali to YOU
You: Happy Diwali.

Me: By the way, haven't you read my blog on My Home Place Manipur, and please spread the word about it. We need to let people know that there is also a place called Manipur, the land of the jewel ... I am not selling tourism :-) . Just letting the world Know.

Share this Post >> Del.icio.us / Facebook / Stumble / Reddit

11 Comments:

Blogger dwaipayan said...

interesting facts

28/10/05 3:45 PM  
Blogger Fursat said...

so u finished that book in one go...thats good..

me too wanna get this book...

u can wiggle ur ears :P

3 movies ohh :|

hmm nice answeres

and about that tag...i had already done that...

just scroll down at my blog u ll get it :D

chalo take care...

God bless u !

28/10/05 3:55 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

I know.. just though I had tag u again. thats why i tagged 8 people..

28/10/05 4:53 PM  
Blogger Arunima said...

I will try :-)

28/10/05 6:29 PM  
Blogger Hul said...

I am ready did this tag on Sep11th.
Started reading your other blog on Manipur. it sure did clear a few of my myths.Thanks dude.

28/10/05 8:57 PM  
Blogger Navjot Kashyap said...

I have to get that book but arn't finding the time to go and buy. Maybe I'll just order it online.
So you also speculate? Bad habit - market going down these days? Did you loose money? :-))

28/10/05 10:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello tony...

I want to apologise for not replying or not being present at d blog-world, but the truth is I really have my mind full right now. So this break will continue for some more time. Thanks a lot for tagging me... but I am not sure I will be doing this right now... and yes i read ur comment when u told me to update your link but i really haven't been doing anything on my blog for quite some time... :(

waise i too plan to get ON@TCC simply cos chetan is one of my favourite writers and he comes across as such a cool person... but after my exams.. and hey i think I have done the seven things post already... just like neetie...

29/10/05 12:05 AM  
Blogger Soumyadip said...

I don't know why but your other blog isn't opening here. Maybe I'll try from someplace else.

And Chetan's latest book, after your review (discussion, whatever)I too want to read it. And what did you say, only Rs. 95? That's the best part. For once I can give up scavenging at the sunday Daryaganj market and walk into a proper book shop to buy a book for myself.

29/10/05 3:33 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

@ Hi hiren.. Yeah, mgt and spiritual books re the most intersting books to read but the most impossible to follow. What works for somebody needn't work for every one and they are so generalised

@soumyadip His pricing will surely make it a sure best sellers.. In india, no of copies sold and number of people who have read a book have always been diff by a huge margin. And all the BPO employees will surely buy it.. He could even arrange or tie up with BPO cos for marketing..instead of launching in hootels he could visit BPO eah wold buy at least a 1000 copies . Its a neat book anyway.

rediffblogs give some problems sometime..thats the reason i shifted..

29/10/05 4:36 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

@ Arunima, i will be waiting

@ Hul, no sweat, u can do it again for me.

@ Sadik All thye best for ur exams

@ Navjot.. Old habits die hard. just kidding, Yeah I have quit speculation just when it was the right time.. Many of my old frns made many on short positions..

29/10/05 4:43 PM  
Blogger Navjot Kashyap said...

My "Seven Things" are up ;-)

30/10/05 6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home