Saturday, November 19, 2005

Reader's Digest

Readers digest used to be pretty common in our household.
There always was the latest issue, I don't remember who bought them or subscribe to them. And I don't remember if I saw those during my summer and winter breaks, since that was the only time I went home, or if started before I left for boarding school. But I remember that RD was one of my favorite reads. Somehow, somewhere along the way, I had forgotten if there was a magazine called Reader's Digest. Though I see an occasional copy lying here and there or at a magazine stall.

I stumbled upon it recently. I got this mail from ICICIBank that I could get a subscription of readers Digest by redeeming some points. Again, I wouldn't have redeemed it but for the fact that my Icici bank credit card had accumulated a huge reward points. I was in fact surprised, but then I am one of those samples every marketeers dream about. I even won a 7 piece travel-luggage set from Icici Credit cards. Its a different matter that I will never use those, what a fool I was. Anyway, I had accumulated more than 5000 reward points and as i was browsing for reedemable things, I saw that the shoppers stop gift vouchers were the only thing worthwhile. And then I saw the readers digest Offer again, and just clicked it or was it a call I forgot.

Well, I have started getting RD's again, and what I never realised all the while is that readers digest is nothing but a collection of blogs. As I read through the pages, it so surprised me that I felt like I was Blog Hopping, and I also realise that the way RD became so popular was not unlike how Blogs became a phenomenon. It is so full of life, the same reason why I like personal blogs.. To me, Reading good stuff feeds our Intellect, Reading personal blogs and magazines like RD feeds our heart. And we need to feed our heart from time to time.

I guess, one needs to read scriptures to feed the soul, but My soul is not as hungry as my Brain or the heart, just yet.

In the column "As kids see it" One Jenelle Carter writes, " Frustrated with having to eat Mum's latest 'new recipe,' my 11 year brother burst out ," just wait untill you are old and I get to feed you"

Thankfully though, Indian Moms Cook much better.

Share this Post >> Del.icio.us / Facebook / Stumble / Reddit

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice and different post. RD was a regular in my house too. Infact, my Dad has RD's from 1970s still when they would come for Rs. 3.50 and now it's almost 50 bucks, I guess. It's one of my favourites too.

Nice comparision between posts and RD articles but I think the main difference is in "commenting" feature. You don't get instant feedback for your articles there and you need a certain writing skills to publish your article unlike here where anyone who knows how to write can virtually publish it...;)

19/11/05 10:05 PM  
Blogger Hul said...

yeah..RD is the best, especially their gift books which comes as a collection of some thing good.

20/11/05 2:43 PM  
Blogger Ar Ar Ar Arrrrr said...

I subscribed to RD's few months back...and now I carry one RD in ma lappy bag coz I travel every weeknd back and forth from Pune...

Yes...at times I too think about the same...whts different in reading blogs and articles in RD...but RD has its own class...I just luv it more than ma tech magazines ;)

Tech magazines (PC Quest, DIGIT, etc) put me to sleep these days..

And we need to feed our heart from time to time.
Very true!!

20/11/05 3:55 PM  
Blogger silverine said...

Reader's Digest..mmmm warm warm memories of curling up with an RD. I am an old subscriber and when a pile of RD piles up my heart breaks to part with them. But then a 15 year old collection would have been too unweildy to handle lol

I would credit RD with my reading habits. The condensed book in the magazine almost always made me pick up the unabridged version thus introducing me to some wonderful authors. RD is an outstanding example of value for money. Every page is worth it's weight in gold. I think I have said enough ;))

20/11/05 6:23 PM  
Blogger Rimi said...

oh but do you know, like the statesman, which was THE newspaper of my city (calcutta) for ages, RD has been steadily declining in quality too. i'm sorry, but that's exactly what i feel everytime i start reading one these days :(

but RD=blog hopping? *scratches chin* hmmm. interesting point you have there... :)

20/11/05 11:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ages since i read RD; somehow it also got lost in our household. My sis gets a regular subscription though. When I was in Pune this time, had a nice time reading a lot of back issues. Phir yahaan aake bhool gaya. Good of reminding me. Lemme see if its available here in Ktm.

Waise, the analogy with blogs was interesting. Now that u point it out, true, it does make sense a lot!

21/11/05 9:59 AM  
Blogger Admin said...

Tony2Ricky:- yeah commenting is a great feature for enabling interaction. For any kind of blogs, its good to see even a little Hi!! and the debate that follows for other opinionated topics lol..

But yes, RD is like reading a lot of personal blogs..

21/11/05 11:37 AM  
Blogger Admin said...

@ Hul, Yeah Rd sent me a Gift book even before the first issue arrived lol. 52 ways to live sucess and Best of Inspiration. I haven't read them though. Forgot to take thme home.. I just took them out from my desk-drawer

21/11/05 11:42 AM  
Blogger Admin said...

@ arz000n, yeah I am also reading it during my half hr bus commute to office, and at the bus stop. rather nice, and much better than struggling to hold a newspaper still. lol.

And feeds the heart well

21/11/05 11:46 AM  
Blogger Admin said...

# tony2Silverine hahaha gold indeed.. I first read about Anne Franks diary from an RD issue..

# Tony2Rimi About quality, maybe you have outgrown it and yeah we have much more at hand. I can't say much, as I said its a very Humane Magazine.. But yes, I used to enjoy much better then. Oh yes, every other article is like a well editted Personal Blog post.

# Tont2DJ. It shouldn't be dificult. It is available in most countries, and I think India-PAk-bangladesh-Srilanka-Nepal will come under one region

21/11/05 11:53 AM  
Blogger Rita said...

I totally agree with you. RDs are a fantastic read!! :D

21/11/05 12:13 PM  
Blogger manuscrypts said...

yup, agree, also the fact that they were the first (and only) guys to publish my work helps... :)

21/11/05 5:47 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

@ Rita..fantastic yeah..

@ Manuscrypts.. Would love to read that work ;-)

@Docs-Dope - ' I have to look up what the presciption pages have to say lol

22/11/05 10:37 AM  
Blogger Visithra said...

Rd used to be my childhood fav - n then it got way too expensive (we were subscribing to too many things)

i love the comedies - the at work n the main story was always an interesting read

22/11/05 2:21 PM  
Blogger Abaniko said...

I used to subscribe to RD. I loved the jokes there, points to ponder and the vocabulary test. Your comparison of RD with blogs is interesting. Fresh and insightful.

22/11/05 4:36 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

@Visithra- the jokes are just too good. I had ened the post with a funny incident.

@Abaniko: Oh yeah, the vocabulary test was really helpfull, I remember when they had this vocab test based on a subject and when i could score pretty well ona legal ords based test. I thanked John Grisham

22/11/05 6:14 PM  
Blogger Ar Ar Ar Arrrrr said...

I liked your new "blog-dress"

Looks a lot professional and your new profile pic is quite kewl too!!

Good work there dude :)

22/11/05 6:17 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

Thanks Arz.. Now I have to stay till LATE... But yaar, this is a very bad addiction...

22/11/05 7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home