Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Empowering Women

I have writen about the women of Manipur, how the women are comparatively empowered, here. No, the society is not matriarchal (though some ignorant people have often asked me).
I believe in empowering of women for the overall development of a society, and the reason I still haven't given up hope on our state is because of the status that Manipuri women enjoys. Exceptions, however occur.

So, It was pretty depressing when I came this post by Uma, here. Quite a lot of links, all leading to some sad but true facts. But then again, I came across an article today in Time(latest edition), an interview with Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf, the first women elected to head an African Country. An excerp:
You are the first woman elected to head an African Country. What does that mean to you?

It means that I have a great responsibility to meet the expectations of Liberian and [other] African women. I'm humbled by the challenge. I will be under the microscope all the time--whatever I do and say, how well I am able to move the Liberian development agenda, how I am able to promote peace and reconciliation. I'll have a lot of detractors who want to see me fail, not only because of my long years of political activism in Liberia but because they aren't really convinced that women can be leaders. More...


We maybe walking slow, but we aren't walking back..--Abe Lincoln

Share this Post >> Del.icio.us / Facebook / Stumble / Reddit

5 Comments:

Blogger Jabberwock said...

Hi Anthony,
replying to your comment on Once Upon a Time in the West here, since I couldn't find your email ID. Thanks for the kind words - and yes, that wasn't a proper review of OUATINW, just a few observations about it vis-a-vis Sholay. Hence nothing much about Cardinale who, incidentally, is one of my favourite actresses - really classy woman who never got enough credit for being a good actress because she was so beautiful. Try to check her out in Visconti's The Leopard.

(BTW, you could have put your comment on the specific post - I wouldn't have missed it, since I have an email notifier.)

Thanks,
Jai

30/11/05 6:23 PM  
Blogger Visithra said...

it was interesting to read about the manipuri community - but i think we're losing the progress we've made so far

its as if we're moving backwards the recent cases around the world do give an impression then we might just be visiting the cave times - hopefully its not that

1/12/05 7:33 AM  
Blogger Admin said...

@ jai: Oh I will rememeber that next time around. And yeah, Cardinale is a very refined actor I'd say.. WIll check out The Leopard.

1/12/05 9:49 AM  
Blogger Admin said...

@ Visithra:
Wherever we are making a progress, we are. There are still some pockets of cave times thats all, and Hopefully it should change

1/12/05 9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes. We are making a progress..however we have a long way to go. We have to realise that the Indian society is largely two-faced..for example the Kushboo controversy...therefore the long road will be filled with loads of roadblocks...

But then again...something is better than nothing.

2/12/05 4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home