Thursday, May 04, 2006

Desi Bells and the iPod

When I googled Noise Pollution + Mumbai , one of the results say that Mumbai is rated the 3rd noisiest city in the world. I couldn't agree more. In fact noise have been the cause of many heart attacks and at least one rape, well her cry for help was drowned out by noise.

On my way to work everyday, in the office bus, most of people are in their own worlds, ear pins tightly stuck to the ear, the other end of the pin either into thier FM radios, those radios that come with mobile phones or the assorted iPods. After a few attempts I have stopped listening to music systems with ear phones. One have to blast to full volume, thier iPods, at least I have to, to be able to listen to some nice music above the drone or din that Mumbai traffic serves up, and I am not even talking of "Proper Mumbai". My office is in Navi Mumbai.

Other than the Super marketing efforts at apple, I also tend to think that the iPod is also an amazing Music listening device. Yes, they have created a cult brand around a portable drive that plays MP3 music and mp4 videos, and the technology other than the wheel was commodity at best, but somehow the music quality is much better than any of the Taiwanese or Korean Clones, I tend to percieve.

So I love my iPod, and I can't work without Mozart playing in my ears.
But I never keep the volume above 2/5th maybe of the volume bar.
At the full volume, my ears start to feel like they would burst.

But in the Bus, I literally have to turn up to the full volume to be able to listen to what is playing.
No wonder, there have been studies and reports that iPods can cause damage to the ear drums. may I add that, it must be only when you are listening to it in a traffic.

And OK, so I don't listen to music in the bus, ( at watch some interesting videos instead lol).
What worries me is the fact that I had to turn up the volume to the maximum to kill the sound already pounding on my ears. Sound I am already used to but took full volume of the iPod to kill. That noise would certainly harm my ear drums.

Share this Post >> Del.icio.us / Facebook / Stumble / Reddit

6 Comments:

Blogger Kusum Rohra said...

Even I had to turn up the volume to the max while travelling in train in order to cut out the noise outside, and then i realised that would be more harmfull to my eardrums, so started listening to conversations happening around me :)

Frankly they are very entertaining sometimes :)

5/5/06 10:09 AM  
Blogger Kusum Rohra said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5/5/06 10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah yes.... thats so true

5/5/06 2:20 PM  
Blogger Hul said...

there are noise cancelling headphones available. you will need to put an extra battery for that. the noise canceller will emit waves in 180 degrees in the opposite side. works okay. try them

5/5/06 11:51 PM  
Blogger The Comic Project said...

ipod is overrated :-) My Rio Karma was better for sound. (Btw I use an iPod that crashes more than my Windows XP but no one talks about that)

I have a suggestion that will blow your ears away .. literally..use isolating earphones - ER6i from Etymotic is a great choice..canalphone it's called. Guaranteed to shatter your eardrums at full vol, and great sound at medium.

8/5/06 8:30 PM  
Blogger Inner Bliss said...

ANother Rio Karma user (although the flash-based Nano is looking increasingly attractive, since I rarely seem to listen to more than 10% of the 20 gigs I have on my Karma).

My recommendation: the Shure E4 'phones (or if you got cash to burn, the soon-to-be-released E500). Sound much better than the Etys, and completely block out all sound. Ah, bliss!

10/5/06 11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home