Thursday, November 03, 2005

Regret Minimization.

When Jeff bezos took the plunge to start Amazon.com and wrote history in internet, he took the crucial decision with the help of what he called Regret minimization framework


"In his typically analytic way, Bezos cast his decision in what he calls the "regret-minimization framework." He imagined that he was 80 years old and looking back at his life. And suddenly everything became clear to him. When he was 80, he'd never regret having missed out on a six-figure Christmas bonus; he wouldn't even regret having tried to build an online business and failed. "In fact, I'd have been proud of that, proud of myself for having taken that risk and tried to participate in that thing called the Internet that I thought was going to be such a big deal. It was like the wild, wild West, a new frontier. And I knew that if I didn't try this, I would regret it. And that would be inescapable." Read more...


I have also come to like this theory very much. Imagining myself 50 years from now and looking back at what I have done and doing only those things that would reduce my instances of regrets.

But also, I was trying to look back at what I have done till today. And nothing could have hardened my faith in the old Indian saying "jo hota hein acche ke liye hi hota hein"( Whatever happens happen for the good). Oh yes, being the positive person that I am, I have always believed it and it is true for most people.

So looking back at the misses I had(leave the hits for now), I was just wondering where I could have done better? Well, I could have done many things better, and there is no doubt about that. I should have tried a little harder during all the exams, slept a little lesser, shouldn't have mixed with the wrong people, listened to father more... blah blah blah.
But then, I realised that no one event should be or could be taken in isolation. Whatever happen till today, have been a chain of events, and doing or not doing some events would have swayed my course in a different way.But, for all the probable regrets, there have been many beautiful events that were the direct result of the events that caused the regrets. For every event that ever caused me a post event dissonance, the same event have resulted in many adventures that have made my life much more meaningfull. And I could never trade those experiences for a better life, or a Life with lesser regrets. Like my old friend, who is now an Army Officer, who kept saying to the our lesser adventurous classmates,"You won't have any stories to tell your Grandchild".

All I could say is, "So far So Good"

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Yeah! Thats Me, about.... maybe 20 years back. I found the Picture, scanned and edited a long ago, hidden in an old mail in my inbox. It was me, my bro and my mom. I guess I as playing around with the photoshop with the scanned picture. the pic used to be pretty clear too, maybe I had converted it to Jpeg from BMP and vice versa more than once :-). Couldn't find the rest of the pictures. My mom looked very sweet in that pic. I don't have any datas from my old PC either. It had long been upgraded sans the datas. Data Overload. I don't have to worry about storage anymore today though.

I have updated my Manipur Blog

Share this Post >> Del.icio.us / Facebook / Stumble / Reddit

10 Comments:

Blogger Soumyadip said...

That's you?????

3/11/05 6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

last time i commented on ur blog, i cudnt pubish it coz of the word verification thing. neways, thats sucha sweet pic! :) Im sure such cute kids mom looked beauutiful! :)

and the post, its good too. yea its always a chain of events, and u cannot regret one thing. if u do, and if its worth, u can get depressed for all ur life. I mean, its better to take it easy and enjoy the rest of the decisions u make rather than keep regretting - which is ofcourse of no use! i hope this comment get published

3/11/05 8:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post and nice concept. This post reminds me of Ashtun Kutcher's movie, Butterfly. he goes back in time to change one thing and realises that every good thing in his life after that one change start getting worse. {I never saw the movie, just read the review. Can't stand that guy}

By the way, nice picture. Now we both know how we look like...LOL

4/11/05 4:08 AM  
Blogger Hul said...

you looked like a cute little girl...oops !u would have been easily chosen into any movie as a girl child artist.

4/11/05 7:45 AM  
Blogger Admin said...

@ soumyadip- I was actually trying to find a pic with my ear rings as i was wrting about ceremonies on my other blog.

I was born a baby u see.. lol,
and I used to wear this typical Gold earrings like all manipuri boys. I removed it when I was 11, i cut them with a plier since my dad wanted me to keep it till i was 13. Imagine my plight!!

@ gemini Girl, ur comment got published ;-)

@ Yeah, Ricky, u read about the common thing between us as well.. But i kinda find ashton kutcher funny and Man... He got to Demi

@ Hul.. I could then at least get to act in balajee tele serials LOL

4/11/05 9:41 AM  
Blogger Hul said...

balaji serials..Oh My God...the serial might not have ended even now..you your eyes will be swollen for ever(crying ..and making others cry)

4/11/05 10:22 AM  
Blogger manuscrypts said...

nice frame, think it works..:)

4/11/05 11:27 AM  
Blogger Admin said...

hehehe an amateur artist at work
:-)

4/11/05 11:31 AM  
Blogger Shivangi Misra said...

Its a very positive post anthony... I am going to keep this in mind. And yes, I did like the theory. Its beautiful.

9/11/05 6:20 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

My pleasure Shivangi..

10/11/05 4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home